Today's Fashion, Yesterday's Icon

Since childhood I have watched old movies and by old I mean black and white, musicals, sometimes even silent movies (yes, I am one of those people who don't find black and white movies boring). It is no surprise then that I find much inspiration (stylistically, but also artistically) from the movies and actresses of yore. Still, I was surprised when I was looking at some images of Clara Bow online and stumbled across this one.

The mixed patterns, the t-strap shoes, the beret, belted waist and pleated skirt--this entire outfit could have been taken from any fashion magazine today. I am aware that vintage is a big trend and it is a vintage photograph, but I think there is much of a modern look to her outfit, the combination of all the elements listed is much more of a modern idea, than a vintage one (usually). To me it is clear why Clara Bow was the original It girl (I mean that quite literally) and why she remains mine above modern celebrity it girls.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment