Nightfall

I finished work exactly on time at 12:30, lingering towards the end and reading my book to make sure I got my full count of hours. After closing I stepped outside to find it lightly drizzling, but the air was still warm and the night gently lit by various lamp posts around the campus. I walked slowly back to my dorm absorbing all the sensations the evening had to offer: the fresh smell of rain, the sound of insects droning unseen behind tall grasses, a frightened rabbit running across my path to freeze on the other side--shooting me startled looks as it crouched by the path. I looked to the ground and smiled at my double shadow that shifted and twirled as I passed by various lights. Up in the sky--night was upon me, to my right the world was black and starry, to my left building lights had colored the sphere overhead a dark brownish red. The same lights lit up the trees from behind, turning the leaves as bright as if it was spring, their edges sharp against the dark sky. My shoes squeaked with each step, but for once the noise did not bother me and I trotted up the stairs to my room and entered into the cool air conditioning to know that all was well with me.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment