Re-thinking "The Basics"

There is a classic concept of what are basics: the little black dress, the perfect black heels, a white button-up, and so on. But ultimately what becomes a basic in your wardrobe is very different from this classic idea. None of those items would be named one of my basics--my basics are clothes I wear day in and day out and throw on in a pinch. They don't have to be the most expensive or even the easiest to match to, but pieces that you will wear with everything regardless. One of these items for me, is my thrifted black shirt with the hand-painted bouquet and ribbon. I saw it outside a vintage/thrift store in the discounted section and was strangely drawn to it. It was so "granny chic;" in the space time continum it had reached that point where ugly becomes cute. Even though I bought it I wasn't sure I would wear it that much, lo and behold it has become one of my favorite shirts.theclotheshorse, personal, style, fashion, vintage, thriftedtheclotheshorse, personal, style, fashion, thrifted, vintage

Anna Sui is also making me re-evaluate the basics. Her collection was a myriad of inspirations that dissolved into busy, chaotic ensembles. But looking past the layers, the patterns, and pure confusion, you can find some really lovely pieces. The tights are ravishing, the dresses ornate and I would happily accept both the cape and the blazer below (should the designer wish to give them away...).Anna, Sui, fashion, runwayAnna, Sui, fashion, runwayAnna, Sui, fashion runwayAnna, Sui, fashion, runway

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment