Acting Out

Do you ever wonder that if your life (and those connecting to it) were turned into a play, what role would you and your friends play? I strangely enough, do not see myself as the heroine or leading lady in my play. Ever since I was little I have had a number of good friends with very similar interests to myself, only these friends were always the dominant friend. Although I moved around it always ended up the same. I would have a very close friend and would almost become a follower in the eyes of others; I was never swayed by their opinion, but always much quieter than them that it seemed that way. It hadn't been this way in college until recently when I connected with a new friend. We are passionate about the same books, movies, politics, theologies, and so on. Lately, we have spent nearly every evening together talking, playing card games, and planning a reckless future (that will likely never occur). Despite the differences in our personal histories we are so alike, except for one notable feature: extroversion vs. introversion. She ranks in the low 90s of extroversion; I rank in the upper 90s of introversion. When it is just the two of us we talk freely and I never feel like a minor character. However, whenever others come into the picture, her natural cheer, outgoing nature, and eternal ability to ask questions sets her in the center of attention. Whether with my friends or hers, she becomes the leading lady and I the supporting actress. Being a quiet observer, it goes to note that this is not of her intent--she always includes me (and everyone else) in any conversation--it is the people around her. They don't seem able to take their eyes off of her, everything she says is witty and wonderful.

When I was younger this would have bothered me, but I have come to accept the way I am. I could force the easy laugh, open countenance, and ready speech that comes naturally to her, but I don't need the attention (also for the record, I don't think she feels she needs it either, she just can't help being friendly). But it does sometimes make me wonder if I am settling in my own life as a supporting actress. Is it bad to fade into the background? Is it worse to do so knowingly and willingly?
But then you really never know with plays and novels, the protagonist just might end up being the person you least suspect.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment