The Short and Short of It

There are MANY pictures of me on this site, but you don't really see comparison shots, so I don't think many of you know it, but I'm short. To be exact I am 5'1". Yep, that's pretty short.

I don't consider my height an issue or hindrance in any way and I'm not sure I would like to be taller if I could be. To be honest most of the time I don't even consider myself smaller than other people, I rarely ever notice it. However, I saw myself in a window reflection the other day with a crowd of other people and the comparison quite shocked me! They were so much taller! But in day to day life I avoid reflections, so its not an issue.
My only concerns really about my height tend to be fashion-wise. Cropped jackets aren't always actually cropped and normal-sized garments are usually over sized. In addition I tend to stay away from things that cut off the length of my leg.
However, my height revelation via the window made me decide to do a little googling on the topic. I came up with this site, which is a support group for short people! I don't think I'll be joining, however there was an interesting list of historic short people. A few I found interesting are:
Charles Proteus Steinmetz- electrical engineer before the electrical era in America 4'0"
Edith Piaf- famous musician and singer 4'8"
Stephen Douglas- leader of the Democratic Party, ran against Abraham Lincoln only 5'0"
Milton Friedman- won the 1976 Nobel Prize for economic science also 5'0"
Dolly Parton- I don't think she needs an explanation 5'0"
Mother Teresa- 5'0"
Just a brief list of some people with interesting histories who also happened to be on the petite side. In semi-related news, I also recently discover Napoleon was actually 5'6.5" although he is usually said to be much shorter. Apparently, the measurement usually given isn't properly adjusted to reflect the differences between French and American measurement. Sometimes apparently, it is cruel to be remembered by history.
And I'm wearing my "difficult" skirt again. I wore black as I usually do, but I opted for crocheted tights and black leather jacket. I feel rocker and ballet chic all at once.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment