Inspired by my walk from work:

I've never walked through a fog this thick before. So thick it is that I can feel the wet mistiness brushing, pressing against my cheeks. The mist turns street lights into faerie lanterns lit to lead hapless travelers astray and even to their doom as in the old tales. In the distance some unseen birds cuckoos as if to confirm this thought. Like Alice through the looking glass the path before and behind me disappears from sight--is it there a few steps in either direction, or erased forever? Could I walk straight on this seeming path, only seeing a few steps ahead and trusting that there are more? Trusting until I walk off some unforeseen edge into nothingness. Strangers footsteps followed by murmured words and laughter pass behind. I could be surrounded by a huge milling crowd or army of adversaries and think myself completely alone in this oppressive mist. A rabbit darts across my path making me jump like a skittish colt.
There--the stairs leading down to the parking lot in front of my dorm. I can hear cars moving as people depart and in a moment, a few more hesitant steps forward and I see their lights. The fog has progressed to even here and I push through the final part of the journey to my dorm, my temporary home. I am inside, a blast of warmth and light, a quick trot up the stairs and I am safe in my room. Was there anything in the mist to fear? Or am I paralleling the fog to my ambiguous future?

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment