Clothes vs. Fashion

I was surprised so many people have been blogging about the Hills episode, or perhaps what will now be called Lauren's Marc Jacobs fiasco." I think it really strikes a chord, because those who are interested in fashion (and aren't born wealthy and don't have reality tv phenom to back a clothing line) respect designers and understand that fashion is work. Design takes talent and liking clothes is not the same as liking fashion.

This to me is a key idea: liking clothes and liking fashion. A girl who likes clothes, likes shopping (probably at the mall) and maybe a few big designer names because everyone knows them and anyone with style will like them. A girl who likes fashion, takes risks, when she can't afford the designs she wants she makes them or thrifts something reminiscent--her friends and family might not understand her fashion choices. The latter girl is more likely to make fashion "mistakes" and wear sometimes unflattering items.
You might be able to tell I don't have a lot of respect for girls who like clothes, mostly because I feel some of them fail to make the distinction between clothes and fashion. I am even perhaps using fashion incorrectly, perhaps I mean style--that external reflection of yourself expressed artistically and limitlessly through your clothes, hair, shoes, etc.
I don't know what I would do if I got to meet Marc Jacobs, several thoughts come to mind (faint, scream, babble, freeze), but I do know if I was sitting on my oh-so-stylish bottom, I would get off it.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment