The Mechanics of Like

Do you like this? It’s a simple question and only requires a yes or no answer, however sometimes I find the answer downright difficult. (Lately) I fairly often find myself saying, “hm…give me a minute, I’ll have to decide if I like that...” But shouldn’t a like or dislike be instantaneous?

Peas for example, equal instant revulsion. In contrast, white chocolate is quick delight. There is no thought with these at all; the sight, scent, let alone taste of either of these and the reaction is immediate. Olives however are giving me trouble: I keep trying them and I can’t make up my mind whether I like them or not! Why? After a few bites shouldn’t I know whether a food agrees with my taste buds or not?
Of course, lately this pondering has been applied to fashion. A crazy and whimsical pair of shoes or unique color combination that leaves me ambivalent--I am at once attracted and repulsed. When I am left scratching my head I wonder what makes me hesitate at a quick answer. Partly it could be something so foreign and new that I need to give myself time to adjust to the idea of it before I can write it off or accept it. Another theory is built up memories/norms stop us from liking things. We have been told so many times that ____ is ugly that we can’t force ourselves to see it as beautiful, but for some reason something within us makes us hesitate.
So, how do you know you like something?
P.S. I do like this editorial found at Foto-Decadent. Red Alert, Vogue Italia, August 2004, photographer Steven Meisel

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment