Disrobing My Icons

When I mentioned Brigitte Bardot as a style icon of mine there was a bit of a negative reaction—which I understand fully since I’m aware of her controversial views and outspoken nature. I briefly responded in the comments about how I admired her style in films (her personal style has less resonance with me) and how I separated her personal style, views, and politics from her cinematic fashion which is gorgeous. I feel the whole subject could deal with a bit more investigation and coverage though. First what makes someone a style icon and secondly, is it possible to separate their personal lives and views from their aesthetic value?

I suppose for each person what makes another one of their style icons is different. For me, I am attracted to a female’s presence as much as her style. Bardot, Dunst, and Eva Green are a few of my favorites and their styles aren’t always the flashiest, or completely "right," but their own beauty, poise, and attitude is something I admire. I feel of all of them are slightly mysterious, as if their looks promise you that what you see isn’t half of what you will get. Ultimately, it is these physical choices in wardrobe, hair, and makeup that make these women style icons to me.
Now, can we separate their image from themselves? I would argue that we already have. How many of us idolize Coco Chanel and turn a blind eye to her sordid history and Nazi lover? Many of us however find it possible to recognize her place in history (particularly of fashion) while acknowledging, but not forgiving her other shortcomings. Or how about Katherine Hepburn the icon for androgynous and rebellious chic, yet she had a well-known affair with a married man. And how about the modern day ladies, such as Mary-Kate Olsen who had a documented eating disorder and rumors of drugs? Not someone I would want any future daughters to look up to for lifestyle and yet, her fashion sense is something I do admire. Further, how can we ever claim to “know” our icons at all? While Bardot’s verbal rants are well publicized, there is no way of knowing if some other stylish lady is just better about keeping her mouth shut. We really can only know as much about any person as they allow us to know. Finally, who is perfect? I’ve made mistakes that many people would disapprove of and in the end of the day none of us lives in a way that everyone would find flawless. So yes, Bardot (and many of my other icons) isn’t perfect, but who is?
Speaking of admiring "strangers," how amazing is this woman Facehunter has snapped twice now, looking flawless each time? Talk about knowing what works for you and having a distinctive look—she’s got it!facehunter, streetstyle, icon, style, fashion, clothes, retro, vintage, chicfacehunter, streetstyle, icon, style, fashion, clothes, retro, vintage, chic
As for me, is anyone else having a summer of the beetles? I swear, everywhere I turn there are beetles.theclotheshorse, the clothes horse, fashion, style, personal, everyday, daily, outfit, simple, chic, pencil, skirttheclotheshorse, the clothes horse, fashion, style, personal, everyday, daily, outfit, simple, chic, pencil, skirttheclotheshorse, the clothes horse, fashion, style, personal, everyday, daily, outfit, simple, chic, pencil, skirttheclotheshorse, the clothes horse, fashion, style, personal, everyday, daily, outfit, simple, chic, pencil, skirt
Outfit details: shirt- Urban Outfitters, skirt- American Apparel, belt- vintage, shoes- some shop in Hawaii

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment