Color Me Navy Blue

One week ago yesterday I took the plunge. I got my tattoo. Very exciting, no? Here are some pictures of the blessed event (my goodness what bad lighting will do to a person's skin tone...).

The design represents a martlet bird. These are mythological birds without feet--having no feet means they can never land. Because of this the martlet bird represents wanderlust and for some a never-ending search for truth and knowledge. In heraldry the martlet bird insignia was given to the youngest son who was not born with a particular position (not the heir and not destined for the Church), so he had to make his own way in the world. I feel very connected to this being the youngest child and a bit lost as where to go and what to do; I also love traveling and the color blue is seeped in symbolism as well. I really could write more about the meaning, but that summary will do for now.
I've been wearing my dresses backwards to show it off. It's only a week old though so there is still some peeling...
I drew the design myself. And for those interested, I mentioned this tattoo plan here, and here previously. Also, I mentioned a gift from my friends and never said what it was, well it was a gift certificate at a tattoo parlour. My friends rock.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment