Red Carpets Kill Fashion

I don't like award shows or the typical red carpet shindig that happens just prior to them...but like a being possessed I often find myself trapped in front of the television screen watching them. It's inevitable, just as it is inevitable that by the end of the show I will be irritable and suffering from a vision-induced headache.
Here is basically what I don't like: everyone subscribes to the same style tribe and anyone who steps out of it is publicly massacred. Prime example being the controversy over Angelina Jolie's "backwards" gown. Did she dare to wear a dress backwards, or was she clueless? In the end I found the front of her dress rather sad, but I thought the back did show off her tattoos admirably--and shouldn't we be able to make satorial choices such as reverseing a gown?
It really irks me because people who don't fit into the image that is currently popular are written up by "fashion police," declared to have committed crimes against fashion, and sentenced to death via public humiliation.
To me, fashion should be creative and even fun. Some of the best designers have the most outlandish ideas going through their heads--and a sense of humor! Red carpet events and the "experts" that critique those who dare to tread upon the crimson cloth, kill all that is creative and fun in fashion. Is the point of fashion truly to make us all look alike?
What probably frustrates me the most is: these are the events where haute couture is practical (well as practical as couture ever is...). Yet, will we never see two peacocks nesting on a bodice on the red carpet? Red carpet events also present one of the few opportunities we have to see designer garments worn on "real" figures. To see people all different coloring, shapes, and sizes wear an amazing dress in a way that suits them can be truly inspiring.
Of course, my statements are about the general mood of red carpet events and are more pointed towards those who would seek and destroy originality at said location than those who wear yawn-inducing gowns. There have been some examples of people stepping outside of the box and not ending up dead...and it is perhaps because of these that I still get sucked into these shows.
Images via Getty Images and Style.com

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment