Diamonds On the Soles Of Her Shoes

Lately I've had engagement rings on the mind...no I'm not getting married (nor am I even seeing someone), but I think one of my friends is on the verge of taking the plunge. What is really making me think though, is her stance (and others) against a traditional wedding ring. Her dislike for the diamond ring stems not from financial reasons, but some other very important issues to note.
With the diamond industry being what it is, can anyone buy a diamond with a clear conscience? It's hard to find diamonds that are free of the tarnish of rebel conflict. Purchasing a diamond haphazardly could lead to the unintentional funding of of conflict and human rights abuser.
Another reason is that the diamond engagement ring lacks originality and a personal touch. A diamond ring can indicate lack of thought towards the bride's personality--is she just like every other woman on the market; do we all want the same thing?
For my friend she desires a vintage ring, possibly a cameo, a piece with history and personality that she will be delighted to wear for the rest of her life. Another lady I know chose coral for her ring, something that was once part of a living thing.
For me, it's hard to imagine the ring when I can't imagine the man...engagement, ring, diamond, cameo, vintageengagement, ring, diamond, cameo, vintage

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment