Defining Personal Style?


I recently received The ELLEments of Personal Style: 25 Modern Fashion Icons On How To Dress, Shop, And Live and I'll admit I was a bit skeptical. I've been disappointed in the past with "fashion-y" books that promise inspiration and guidance; they usually end up being light on quality content visually and text-wise (they rarely seem to offer new or thoughtful advice). Even upon opening this book I fell upon the piece about Ashley Greene and wondered when she earned the title of style icon...

However, despite all skepticism and initial judgement I eventually found myself reading entertaining pieces on Dita Von Teese, Diane Von Furstenberg, and Janie Bryant (Mad Men costume designer). I enjoyed the set-up of each feature: it began with a little background, followed by an interview, and plenty of examples of their style. The photographs in this book are really special; many are taken in the "icons" homes and closets giving us an intimate peak into their world. These images also serve to illustrate that style isn't just clothes on your back; it is reflected in how you live: what you choose to hang on your wall, how you arrange the books on your shelves, etc.
I still would prefer some of my style icons to be in the book (like Sofia Coppola or Anna Dello Russo), but that might be more personal preference than a proper critique. The style icons they did choose show a great range of style, backgrounds, occupations, even sizes, making the statement "you don't have to fit a mold to be stylish." Overall, I did enjoy the book and will definitely be returning to it for inspiration from time to time.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment