Girls That Dance From The Pages Of Dusty Books


Artist KT Smail describes the subjects of her illustrations as, "girls who dance from the pages of dusty books to gather their melancholy thoughts, lost lovers that took flight upon feathered wing, paper pets..." The description intrigued me as much as her drawings. A short interview with the artist was a natural progression from my interest and KT was kind enough to take some time to answer my questions.

How old were you when you began drawing?

I have been drawing girls in pretty dresses since I was a little girl, but only started taking drawing seriously when I was about 17...I never really thought about illustration. I went to art school thinking I would study painting or fashion design, but as soon as I realised that illustration would allow me to work with books and drawing, I fell in love with it. I have always loved the combination of words and pictures, story and image....
What are some of your inspirations? Favorite books, films, or music? I am inspired but tragic heroines, broken hearts, faraway lovers, melancholy stories, dappled woodlands, tattered dresses, lonely girls, sun-bleached film, faded photographs...At the moment my favourite authors are: Vladamir Nabokov, Thomas Hardy, Angela Carter, Carson McCullers, Murakami, Anais Nin
Films: Pretty Baby, A Bout de Soufle, Picnic at Hanging Rock, The Dreamers, Almost Famous, I am Love, Pride and Prejudice,
Music: Bob Dylan, Sibylle Baier, Fleetwood Mac, Karen Elson, Joanna Newsom, Billie Holliday, Edith Piaf
I love your fashion illustrations. Who are your favorite designers? My favorite designers are Rodarte, Christopher Kane, Erdem and Charles Anastase.




*all artwork courtesy of KT Smail

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment